When I was 17 I swore off shorts and began to exclusively wear skirts in warm weather. Over a decade later, I’m considering swearing off pants for good. No matter what I decide, I’ll probably end up keeping at least one pair of jeans around, even if I only wear them in secret. Lee Oliveira [...]
May 22, 2013
I’ve been looking for a good summer sandal for a while – the kind you can walk all day in, and dress up or down. I love my Ancient Greek Sandals, but I’m in search of something with a little more support, and a slightly higher heel. The current front-runner are the Pour La Victoire’s, but who am I kidding – I love them all!
May 20, 2013
The day before I flew to New York I was lucky enough to attend a pre-luncheon celebrating AAU’s fashion graduates.
1. A collaboration between fashion and architecture students was on display at the reception.
2. Drawings by Gladys Perint Palmer, the Academy of Art’s Executive Director of Fashion, lined the entryway into the lunch. She also has a book coming out!
3. Beautiful view from the top.
4. Dress – Anthropologie (on sale) // Shoes – Dolce & Gabbana (similar). They’re fine for a couple of hours and then man – they hurt! It’s a total bait-and-switch.
5. I got to meet both Max and Lubov Azria. They’re both so full of personality and joie de vivre.
6. Remember that time I got lost at Macy’s with Mayor Willie Brown? Well this time I finally got a photo with him!
May 16, 2013
High-low hems always catch my eye, but they never look the way I want them to. During the heat wave we had a couple of weeks ago I tried out a new dress that I found when I was looking for something to wear to my friend’s wedding. Turns out, I loved it! I’m not even going to say how many times I’ve worn it since then…
Dress – Free People // Sandals – Ancient Greek Sandals (similar) // Necklace – Gift (similar)
Photos by Julia Ralston
May 13, 2013
1. Friday was epic. I went to the Morris-Jumel Mansion for The Loves of Aaron Burr: Portraits in Corsetry and Binding; the Metropolitan Museum of Art for Punk: Chaos to Couture and Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity (I liked the latter more than the former); AND to the Prada SoHo store to see costumes from the Great Gatsby on display. I also got lost in Central Park and walked 14 blocks south instead of walking a few blocks east.
2. Saturday I went to one of my favorite spots in all of New York City – the Highline! I love the concept – how they turned an old, elevated railway into a beautiful, elevated park. It’s so elegantly and expertly landscaped, and provides a beautiful way to observe the city. This statue is from a series called “Busted”, and was used with “modern printing processes” including 3D scanning!
3. The whole reason I came to New York – for a friend’s wedding! I love getting together with my college friends, and what better excuse than a wedding?!
Outfit #1: Skirt – Stella Jean // Top – American Apparel // Espadrilles – J. Crew // Necklace – Mira Mira // Bracelet – Stella & Dot
Outfit #2: Dress – Ace & Jig (via Mira Mira) (similar) // Shoes – TOMS (similar) // Necklace – Mira Mira
Outfit #3: Dress – Anthropologie (only available in petite online, but check your local store!) // Shoes – Diane Von Furstenberg // Lipstick – Givenchy Le Rouge
May 7, 2013
POSH: Sienna Miller in Burberry
PUNK: Sarah Jessica Parker in Giles (and a Philip Treacy mohawk)
POSH: Gywneth Paltrow in Valentino
PUNK: Julie Macklowe in Zang Toi
POSH: Carey Mulligan in Balenciaga
PUNK: Anne Hathaway in vintage Valentino
POSH: Emma Watson in Prabal Gurung
POSH: Giovanna Battaglia in Dolce & Gabbana
PUNK: Chloé Sevigny in Proenza Schouler
POSH: Jessica Pare in Jason Wu
PUNK: Hilary Rhoda in Wes Gordon
PUNK-Y: Christina Ricci
PUNK: Liya Kebede
Trick question. They’re both punk!
Anja Rubik, Gisele, both in Anthony Vaccarello
I was so curious to see how the supremely posh Vogue & Friends would turn out for this year’s punk themed Met Ball. Some people dipped their toes in the water, while others went all out. And some people (cough, Anna Wintour) didn’t even seem to try. But hey – that’s their perogative, and punk certainly isn’t for everybody. That’s the point! What did you think of this year’s Met Ball red carpet? Head over to my Facebook page to see more of my favorites.
all photos via Fashionista.com
May 6, 2013
This outfit is an unexpected study in contrasts: I’m WILD about this dress. The shoes however, I’m pretty lukewarm about. I love how they look – and I worked hard to get them – but I’ve never loved how they look on me – or with any of the things I own. I think their days in my wardrobe are numbered.
May 3, 2013
1. Micah’s fierceness knows no bounds. (Raww Blog)
2. I’m on an open-knit sweater kick right now. (Sartorialist)
3. This photo inspired me to buy these shoes (during the Saks Friends & Family sale!). I just wish they didn’t feel so tight. (the SF Style)
4. I have this dress! I love it, but sadly it’s too tight right now. (Blank White Frames)
5. I don’t have this dress… but I would like to. Looks like a perfect spring/summer transitional dress. (Atlantic Pacific)